RE: Places to visit

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Places to visit
From: Paul Nicklin <PAUL@gt66.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 00:33:03 +0000
Tourists only!

Sorry I lost the mail message (OK I deleted it!)  from the tourist
wanting MUST SEES in the UK so here's my choice.

I'd recommend the BMIHT (British Motor INdustry Heritage Trust)
museum at Gaydon, Warickshire, just off the M40, 60 miles NW of London.
 It has the last ever produced Spit 1500
(Inca Yellow, very nice!) along with motoring 'greats' like the
Allegro (AllAggro).
Several 'halves' of cars, engines etc..

The new owners of the British Motor industry (BMW) have pledged to
keep it open.

Beaulieu is good too, Thrust 2 is there along with Bluebird and a
load of other stuff. It's also good for the kiddies/wives. There's a
big autojumble there in August. It's near Southampton on the south
coast in the New (900 year old) Forest. (Wild ponies etc..)

The TSSC headquarters in Leicestershire is also worth a look
(apparently) with loads of small-chassis triumph stuff.

Edinburgh is great (went there last month). Please DON'T buy a kilt,
you'll only be reinforcing the terrible stereotype of the American
tourist in Scotland! The castle is good, they give you a electronic
box to listen to as you go round.

There's a HUGE classic car scene over here, if you come in the summer
you'd be spoilt for choice on any weekend for events, best bet would
be to get in touch with the club of your choice for an events list
(or me, I can e-mail details)

Then there's the Lake district, Peak district, Scottish Highlands,
Stone Henge, Loads in London etc etc etc....

Paul

 (PS I don't work for the Tourist Board)