TR3 Tune up, + Horns Caught Fire. (Is This Normal?)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Tune up, + Horns Caught Fire. (Is This Normal?)
From: CHARLES_HYMES@HP-Cupertino-om5.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 10:30:41 -0600
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     Hi there!
     I've got a project for this weekend that I don't want to screw up. I'm
     going to tune my ignition system, something I've never done before. In
     high school, (13 years ago!) I tuned old American cars with friends,
     but I hardly remember anything.
     I bought a timing gun, and a digital dwell meter ( tools I've never
     used before) , I'll get new plugs and cables, and I think the
     condenser and points are ok, so I don't think I'll need anything else.
     I'm going to find a book on tune-ups before I start, and I have 4
     different (mediocre) Tr3 shop manuals, but what should I REALLY know?

     About my car:
     I've got a 1959 ('60) TR3a. It's been mine for um, 9 years. The
     previous owner was my Dad, and I inherited and restored it when he
     died. It's in good shape, all things considered. So far, its all
     stock, plus a bolt-on electric radiator fan. It certainly looks nice
     anyway. The only real problems are bizarre electrical episodes, oil
     leaks, noisy shifts, and  overheating in traffic. I think the
     alignment is off, and there is way too much free play in the steering,
     but I have not figured out how to do anything about those problems
     yet.

     Re: the fan. I just put it on, and it seems to have really helped the
     overheating problems, but I have been unable to calculate the
     electrical capacity on my TR3's electrical system, so I don't know if
     I am exceeding some tolerances, or headed for other trouble. Should I
     be concerned?

     Now for the Flammable Horns...
     I was driving home late one night a couple of weeks ago, when some
     fool tried to merge into me, and I hit the horn. The screws securing
     the push switch had loosened, and the horns stuck on. In a normal car
     this would have been embarrassing, or at most annoying. In my Tr3, it
     was a crisis. After a few moments, white/brown smoke began to waft out
     from under the hood, with that unbistakabe balkilite smell. I grabbed
     the extinguisher ( always carried for just such an emergency! ), threw
     open the hood, and yanked out the wires to the horns. This seemed to
     be all that was required.
     When I got home, I looked through my shop books and discovered that
     Satan must have been on the design team at Triumph.
     It turns out that the horns are a device like a cross between an
     ancient electric doorbell and a bellows. Periodically, the driver is
     supposed to dismantle the front engine cowl,  and adjust the breaker
     points on the horns. Manual says "Failing to perform this periodic
     maintenance can result in the horns drawing excessive current, and
     producing a short circuit in the auxiliary electrical system. As
     flammable vapours can collect in the front cowling, this could be
     hazardous."
     What the hell in the 30 amp fuse supposed to be for?

     After spending a whole day trying to find two 1/4 inch crescent
     wrenches, I tried to "Adjust" the horns to the get the current draw as
     specified in the manual. It took two hours, and 5 fuses to do it with
     the horn mounted in the car (as recommended). I did not attempt the
     second horn.
     Am I insane, is there something bizarre and evil about my car, or am I
     really supposed to do this?! Is there a way to adjust the horns
     outside of the car? Is there a way to do it without removing the front
     cowl??! Should I reduce the size of the fuse for the horns?

     Please Enlighten me!