Re: TR3 Tune up, + Horns Caught Fire. (Is This Normal?)

To: CHARLES_HYMES@HP-Cupertino-om5.om.hp.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Tune up, + Horns Caught Fire. (Is This Normal?)
From: jim.sudduth@autodesk.com
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 10:07:23 PST
     Hi Charles:

     This was a wonderful email! Please excues me for being so entertained,
     but if you hadn't identified what kind of car you were talking about I
     still would have known it was a British car by the description (oil
     leaks, electrical problems, overheating in traffic...). Anyway,
     getting on to saying something that might be useful to you:

     Tuning these old beasties should be kept simple, in my opinion. I have
     a '74 TR6 on which I tried using a strobe light and a dwell meter -
     the car hated it and ran like s**t. So I asked my buddies in the
     Triumph Travelers club how they time their TRs. Now I just use a cheap
     timing light (basically a 12 v. bulb with two wires and alligator
     clips), set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC (before top dead center) and
     forget it.

     Speaking of car clubs, I see from your email that you work in
     Cupertino(?). Triumph Travelers is based in San Jose. If you're
     interested in coming out to a meeting let me know. And yes, all you
     SOLers, that was a shameless plug for my club!

     I can't offer you any advice about adjusting the horns, although it
     does sound like something Lucas would design. My god, take off the
     front cowl to adjust the horns, oh, it's just too much! Please pardon
     me as I "fall about" as our British friends might say :-).

     Jim
     jims@autodesk.com
     '74 TR6 CF20076U