Re: TR3 Tune up, + Horns Caught Fire. (Is This Normal?)

To: <CHARLES_HYMES@HP-Cupertino-om5.om.hp.com>, "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Tune up, + Horns Caught Fire. (Is This Normal?)
From: John Matthews <matthews@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 10:18:28 -0800
Charles,

Sounds like quite a hassle for horns, but none of mine work right so what
do I know.
I'm sure one of the TR-3 owners out there will have something to say
about it.
As for the timing and dwell. I normally just set the dwell by adjusting
the point gap
with a feeler gauge. The timing is a different matter. If your car runs
it's a good bet that
the timing is correct or very close. There should be a timing mark on the
harmonic balancer (the bottom pulley) these marks are often covered with
grease or missing altogether. Once you find that you need to decide what
it lines up with, and what the marks mean. I suggest you start by finding
TDC on the #1 cylinder (compression stroke). This will give you a good
reference point on figuring out the marks, and help guard aginst other
anomalies like improperly installed distributors or jumped timing chains.
These old points systems are really simple, but if you get things out of
place you will need to go through the whole finding TDC process. To make
a long story easier, DON'T ADJUST THE TIMING UNLESS YOU KNOW IT'S OFF!!
Or at least don't adjust it very much, if your car runs good it probally
doesn't need to be adjusted. If you do adjust it go in small steps and
road test it between changes, only change one thing at a time, and don't
advance it too far as this can cause serious damage to your engine. If
you have other questions drop me a line, I'm right here in Cupertino too.

John Matthews
'61 & '65 Heralds