Re: I Need help with Ball Joint Installation!

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, KMNTR6@aol.com
Subject: Re: I Need help with Ball Joint Installation!
From: Paulsv@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:51:05 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, rtr@tsquare.com
In a message dated 96-08-16 10:24:26 EDT, amace@unix2.nysed.gov (Andrew Mace)
writes:

<< An alternative is to tap sharply NOT on the tapered, threaded end of the
 ball joint but where it mounts in the vertical link.  >>

Gents-
I want to sound a caution on this.  I think what Andrew Mace is suggesting is
to strike that portion of the verticle link that the ball joint stem passes
through, in order to "shock" the tapered stem out of the hole in the top of
the vertical link.  (Apologies to A.M. if I misunderstand what he is
suggesting)  This has worked well for me, but in order to avoid damage to the
vertical link and connected parts, and in order for it to really work well,
you have to back up the other side of the vertical link with a heavy piece of
steel, preferably heavier than the hammer you are hitting with.  Heat can
help too.  Also, in terms of room to swing a hammer, I would suggest that, as
it is not coming apart willingly, you should consider taking the vertical
link off of the car, so you can get it up on a bench, where you can work on
in effectively, without risking damage to anything else.
Good Luck
Paul