TR6 Clutch

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Clutch
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 15:04:29 -0600
Encoding: 39 TEXT
I am replacing the clutch in my 76 TR6. In order to do this of course,
the trans must be removed. I have never done this before on any car. I
would like to solicit the opinion of those with hands on experience with
this arduous task.

I think I have detached all the attachment points as per my Haynes
manual (which seems to have photos of a car different from mine in its
remove gearbox section).

1. I am not sure how far back the trans must be moved in order to free
the input shaft from the engine (flywheel?). Is it 1 inch, 2 or what?

2. How do I move the driveshaft out of the way? I removed the four bolts
but the driveshaft still stays connected. I'm not sure if it is sitting
on a lip in the trans rear (or the trnas rear is sitting on a lip in the
driveshaft). Does one just pound the driveshaft towards the rear of the
car? If so how hard?

3. The rear trans mount (the one which has the rubber part for shock
absorbtion) has two bolts angled up at 45 degrees towards the middle of
the car and two pointing straight down towards the bottom. The nuts are
fairly easy to remove from the two angled bolts, meaning the top part of
the mount (the part immediately above the rubber part) will come away
with the trans. Is this the way it's done? I will need to lift the rear
of the trans first before I can start moving it backwards in order to
clear the two angled bolts. Is this the way it's done or will I bend the
input shaft?

4. How much does the trans weigh once its free. (Mine has the J O/D).

Boy what have I got myself into????

Thanks in advance for any replies.

PZ

Peter Zaborski, Calgary AB Canada