Re: turn signals

Subject: Re: turn signals
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@mailhost.scala.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 96 3:23:17 EDT
Scott Dinhofer writes:

>on my '76 TR-6 my right turn signal is working fine. When I turn it on for
>the left the indicator light on the dash just stays solid, doesn't blink.

        First check for a burnt out bulb.  Then check for bad connections
(most commonly the rear light grounds - they ground through the socket clips
to the holes in the body).  Then check for a bad socket (the sockets for the
rear bulbs are reknowned for becoming intermittent/bad).  The sockets can be
repaired, or just replace it (~$10).

        If it's not any of those (and the battery ground is good), then
you need to trace a load of connections and clean them, or you can go to the
auto store and buy a universal "trailer" flasher unit, which flashes at a
constant rate regardless of load.  (The triumph (and most other) flashers
are current-timed devices, and changing the load will make them flash slowly
(or quickly)).  These flasher units are ~$10, and work darn well.  (I spent
dozens of hours trying to remove the gremlins from my left-hand turn signals
before I gave up.)

        One other note: a marginal connection from the battery to the ignition
switch will cause low voltages throughout the switched circuits, and the
turn signals are one of the most susceptible devices to this.  The DPO of my
TR6 replaced fuses with 50amp fuses and partially melted many things, including
that wire.  It finally died, and I was amazed it was conducting current at
all when I replaced it (the connector was nicely toasted).

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com