Re: Tow Vehicles

To: Nickbk@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicles
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 18:12:34 -0400
In a message dated 96-05-25 18:37:01 EDT, Nickbk@aol.com writes:

>The second choice belongs to a friend of mine who used this vehicle to tow
>his own TR3
>(an SCCA National Champion, to boot) all over the country for several years.
>I know for a fact that he has logged well over 200,000 miles flat-towing his
>TR3 behind this well suited tow vehicle. The only modification he has made
>(besides the tow hitch) was to add an overdrive for the ultimate gas
economy.

So you must be a friend of Hardy Prentice. I was at Road Atlanta in 1992 when
he finally won that E Production championship after 18 tries with the same
1956 TR-3. As i recall, there was a feature article about him in the race
program which mentioned that for several years he towed the TR-3 across
country with his 67 E-type because those were the only 2 vehicles he owned
and something about the ordeal of packing the Mark Donahue award (race wheel
and glass table top) in 1983 (one of the years he finished 2nd?)
The race was a good one. I beleive he qualified second and the pole sitter
was an Elva Courier which left the track or broke somewhere on  the back side
of the track. I think I  still have some excellant pictures i took of Hardy's
white TR-3 in the grid area and at speed during the race. Fond memories for a
Triumph nut.
Later
Jack Mc