Re: Crack testing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crack testing
From: John Matthews <matthews@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 09:26:47 -0800
Doug Mitchell wrote:

> On May 9, 11:00am, wise@VAXA.CIS.UWOSH.EDU wrote:
> > Subject: Crack testing
> >         What can anybody out there tell me about crack testing?  How does
> > it work?  What does it cost?  Can an average Joe do it at home?
> >
> > Bob Wise
> >
> >-- End of excerpt from wise@VAXA.CIS.UWOSH.EDU
>
> Well, you poor some of the crack on the table...
> I ... I can't do it, it's too easy!

I belive what they are refering to is a process called Magnafluxing.
It involves metal filings and powerful electromagnets to detect cracks
that may not be visible to the naked eye. Correct me if I'm wrong.
It's concievable that one could set up to do this in a home shop, but
most automotive machine shops can either do this for you, or send it
out at a reasonable charge. I think it falls into the category of
procedures that would cost more to do it yourself.
Check with your local machine shop. BTW I hadn't thought about this,
but since I'm in the process of rebuilding my rear suspension I'll be
sure to inclued this procedure. It just may save some future grief.

Thanks all,

John Matthews
'61 Herald