Re: 1964 TR4

To: "Libutti, Daniel A." <dal7@CIDDBD2.EM.CDC.GOV>
Subject: Re: 1964 TR4
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 09:34:57 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: Triumphs E-mail <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 30 Jun 1995, Libutti, Daniel A. wrote:

> I am considering buying a 1964 TR4 and am wondering if there are any problem
> areas specific to the car I should be on the look out for.  Any help is
> appreciated.
> Daniel

        Daniel,

        If I was in the market for another TR4 I guess that I would be
        more careful about the condition of the body than I was with my car.
        Nearly everthing mechanical can be put right relaively cheaply.
        The body work on the other hand will be more expesive if say, it
        is excessivly rusty. Look for a good straight frame, little bondo,
         and as many original parts as possible (the less you have to buy
        the better). I like the earlier cars, but my car is not particularly
        original. If you like to take long trips an overdrive would be good.
        The TR4 is about as simple a car as you're going to get maintenance-
        wise the engine is strong and a good runner. Spend as much money as
        you can afford to get as good a `4 as you can. Basket cases are no
        real bargain... Remember, if you were a "virgin" when you started
        rebuilding your car you won't be when you get finished...
        Everybody gets screwed a bit somewhere in the process.

        Good luck,

        Greg

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois