Re: TR6 Cooling

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Cooling
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Tue, 23 May 95 21:29:53 CDT
Bruce replied:
>Regarding rust in the radiator, none is evident although I
>suspect the radiator is a fairly recent replacement. When I replaced
>the thermostat housing gasket I did notice quite a bit of rusty scale
>under the thermostat, inside the head. How can I tell if there's a
>blockage, or if the water pump is pooped?

A _steady_ reading whether quarter or half scale is likely normal due to
differences in stats, gauges and senders. But the climb at idle says it
loses control, too much heat or too little cooling.

I wish I knew a definitive test other than trial and error. (Anyone else
know?) Check the big rad hoses for bulges or kinks, the smaller hoses don't
matter except to the heater. Some scale and gunk is normal but flushing
with Prestone Heavy Duty Flush or similar product was effective for me in
one case and it's fairly easy to try.

--
Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies
phone: 608-276-6172, Fax: 608-273-5061, Internet: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com