Re: Headers

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Headers
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:33:01 -0700
  I'm just curious if anyone has ever dyno-ed their Tiger before and after
ONLY installing headers (and tuning mods relating to the headers - richer
jets etc.).  The reason I ask is that I have a Mopar 318. They did test on a
360 that was mildly/moderately warmed over with stock 318 manifolds, 340
HiPo manifolds and various headers up to 5,800 RPM. They did not use
mufflers, only 24" of pipe off the manifolds. The end results were about a
10 HP increase with exspensive ($800) TTI headers, and about a 5 HP increase
with exspensive ($350) 340 HiPo manifolds over stock 318 manifolds! The end
rating were in the 315HP to 325HP range. I would also think that the
addition of mufflers would better work to the advantage of the lesser than
the greater.
  I realize that every model of motor is different much less any
modifications (cams, heads intake manifolds etc.).  Regardless, for all the
trouble headers seem to be, I wonder on a stock to mild Ford Small Block
typically driven in the idle to 4,500 RPM range if a significant increase is
noticable.
   I know that there are header power increases that are often stated by the
manufacturer, but I don't doubt that the comparision is probably for a
single exhaust car choked through a single factory muffler.  Additionally,
touring auto museums I often see boat and aircraft engine displays that even
with attempts to have maximum horsepower still use a cast, log type exhaust
manifold.
  I'm not trying to get down on anyone who installed headers (you all
deserve a purple heart for doing so)  but rather trying to take a balanced
look regarding cost, effort perpetual problems and end results.
Regards, Tom Witt