Re: Carpe Brakeum

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carpe Brakeum
From: David Brock <dmbrock@nm.cbc.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 16:18:16 -0400
Jim-

Thanks for yout input also...

> As Andy Mace has already pointed out, the heating is the effect of the
> brakes being stuck on, not the cause.  The hard pedal is just proof of
> the stuckness.
>
> The real question is why they got stuck.  It could be either of two
> causes.  One possibility is that s caliper piston could be stuck.
> (I'd guess it less likely to be a rear slave cylinder.)  The other
> possibility is that a tear inside one of the flexible brake hoses is
> acting as a valve and preventing any release of pressure.

Given your statement, I suspect that it's the front right caliper.  I
did drive it for a while, and they were all hot, but it was noticably
the hottest, though I couldn't feel it pulling as I drove.

I'll check with the bleeder valve, and overhaul that caliper.  While I'm
in there, I'll check the master cylinder spring, and the brake pedal
spring.  The hoses, I think I said are *mostly* new- replaced a few
years ago.  I really should go in and do the last few.

Cheers!

;-David

===     http://www.vtr.org