Re: Carpe Brakeum

To: David Brock <dmbrock@nm.cbc.ca>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carpe Brakeum
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:15:51 -0700 (PDT)
I had these exact same symptoms a few years ago.
The problem turned out to be this:
I had fiddled with the brake light switch,
and as a result, the brake pedal could not return
to its fully-up position.  Thus, the connection
to the reservoir was cut off, and the fluid in the
lines and wheel cylinders had no place to go when it
expanded.

The fix was to properly adjust the brake light
switch so that the pedal could go fully upwards and
the pistons in the master cylinder could return
to their fully-relaxed positions (all the way
forward).

There are a couple of valves (including the
quaintly-named "tipping valve") between the cylinder
and the reservoirs.  When the M/C pistons are
all the way forward, these valves are open, so that
the fluid in the reservoirs can replenish the system.
But a soon as the pistons start moving, these valves
close, so that pressure can build up in the system.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org