Carpe Brakeum

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Carpe Brakeum
From: David Brock <dmbrock@nm.cbc.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 14:03:12 -0400
(Apologies if this, or something like this, is duplicated.  I sent it
last week, and see no sign of it on the list, or in the archives)

Hey Listers!

I don't drive my Spitfire much, but a few weeks ago, I had it out for a
little spin, and I noticed that the brakes were grabbing a little. Last
weekend, I took the cylinders off, and they looked clean.  I re-bled the
brakes, and took off.

After more than a few "stop & go"'s the pedal was hard to the touch - no
play, and as soon as I stepped on it, the brakes were obviously being
applied.  A few minutes later, the engine was straining more than it
should have been on a hill.  When I stopped, the brakes were so hot they
were smoking, literally, and a lot!

Obviously, the front brakes were hot.  I checked the rear wheels, and
they too were hot- the studs, which would transfer heat from the drums,
were very hot to the touch.

A friend indicated that I had boiling brake fluid.  This makes sense to
me- if any one of the brakes was adjusted too tight, it would heat up
and create bubbles in the line, pushing back on my master cyl., brake
pedal, and other cylinders, exacerbating the problem.  If this is the
case, I caught it just soon enough, as my wheels could still turn under
the engine's power.

Any concur?  Disagree?  Other theories?  (Need more information?)

What kind of brake fluid do I use?  I must confess that I don't know.
It's likely all DOT4, but there may be DOT3 in there.

After this, I'm quite sure that I'll have to tear down the whole system
to ensure that there is not damage to the calipers, fix the PWDA, and
restore some confidence in my braking system.

So, any comments on my problem, diagnosis, remedy, future prevention,
writing style, or long absence??

Of course, I welcome all input...

;-David

PS: Notable meeting with another Spit driver who happened across my
driveway when I was preparing to set off- he lives in the next town, and
had seen my car, but never a person around it.  He owns a '73 Spitfire
that he bought in '75.  I mentioned the list to him, and will suggest
that he get online with it when I re-contact him, as well as tell him
about Joe's list and to make sure his vehicle is on it.

===     http://www.vtr.org