Re: Carpe Brakeum

To: dmbrock@nm.cbc.ca, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carpe Brakeum
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 14:38:16 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: dmbrock@nm.cbc.ca

I don't drive my Spitfire much, but a few weeks ago, I had it out for a
little spin, and I noticed that the brakes were grabbing a little....

After more than a few "stop & go"'s the pedal was hard to the touch - no
play...When I stopped, the brakes were so hot they
were smoking, literally, and a lot!...

...A friend indicated that I had boiling brake fluid....

==AM==
Possible, but I'd think that it was effect rather than cause. More
likely, something else causes one or more brakes to drag, which heats
the fluid, which...

When everything cools off, do all four wheels spin freely without any
brake drag? How about first stop and subsequent going again? Does the
car continue to roll ok, or do brakes drag then?
==AM==

What kind of brake fluid do I use?  I must confess that I don't know.
It's likely all DOT4, but there may be DOT3 in there.

==AM==
Frankly, that's your preference. Lots of folks like silicone brake
fluid, lots like "classic" fluid such as Castrol GT LMA or other top
quality.
==AM==

After this, I'm quite sure that I'll have to tear down the whole system
to ensure that there is not damage to the calipers, fix the PWDA, and
restore some confidence in my braking system.

==AM==
Perhaps that's best practice regardless. Check all hoses as well as
calipers, cylinders, shoes and pads, and make sure the handbrake
mechanism is free and working properly, along with rear adjusters.

What's the problem with the PDWA?

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>
across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

===     http://www.vtr.org