Thoughts on fiberglass Spitfire body

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Thoughts on fiberglass Spitfire body
From: Mark.Green@communityhospital.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:12:28 -0400
Wanting to get some feedback from the List.

I'm contemplating starting a small business that would make a fiberglass
replica of the Spitfire body.
The replica would be as an exact match in body style (probably like a Mark
IV/1500) so that it basically is a "replacement" body for the Spitfire.
I haven't gotten all the details worked out, but a guy in England actually
did this, but I'm not very fond of the liberty he took in altering the body
style.
Check out this web site for more details about the Vincent Hurricane:
http://www.vincenthurricane.co.uk

This would mean "popping" off the old bonnet and tub from a Spitfire and
replacing it with a brand new rust resistant and lightweight fiberglass
body.

The weight savings alone would be a gain in performance plus not having to
worry about body rust and corrosion would definitely be a plus.

What are your thoughts about purchasing such a body if the total cost was
in the range of $3500-$4500?

Just a side note - I really like the new Lotus Elise with its lightweight
frame/body, small fuel-efficient engine, superb handling and admirable
quickness.
I really think given some decent effort that a modified Spitfire
(performance engine, better gearbox and diff, upgraded suspension, modern
tires, lightweight fiberglass body, etc.) could give the Elise a run for
it's money, yet be much more affordable (like under $15,000).

Well I've begun to rant - so let me know your thoughts - they will be
highly valued.

Mark

'72 Spitfire Mark IV - "Murdock"

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.