Re: vibration at speed

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <geevee@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: vibration at speed
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 07:49:00 -0400
I would most suspect u-joints of causing your vibration.  They are a
wear component, and when they finally die, vibration shows up.  You
cannot judge the axle u-joints without unbolting the flange and pulling
it away.  The compression load on the u-joint makes it impossible to
assess condition otherwise.  You can somewhat judge the driveshaft
u-joints with the driveshaft mounted.

I don't fully understand what you're saying about your bonnet,
particularly about it being flexed and bowed when you close it.  It's
not that flimsy a piece that merely settling down onto the rubber cones
is going to bow it.  In any case, measure you frame dimensions to ensure
you've got a straight frame.  You can also have the body tub on crooked,
as well as having bent bonnet mounting tubes, and having them askew.
Don't forget too, the Spitfire was not a car built to Benz standards of
panel fit and alignment.

Your comments about your doors make me wonder though if the bonnet
problem isn't actually with the body tub.  The tub itself does not sound
correct from your description of door problems.