Timing or Carbs?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing or Carbs?
From: "Bóna, Péter, VF-Hungary"
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 12:19:10 +0200
Hello All,

Yesterday I spent a long icy day outside to do timing and carbs tuning.
A bad day! I have mk3 68' European market, Delco distributor, HS2 carbs,
vacuum advance...
This config was running well last summer. the winter I changed contact
breaker points, condenser.... Valves clearances are ok, I set 6 degrees
BTDC as the manual describes.
And I can't get an even idle. Even with hot engine the idle is very
uneven and can't be lowered below 1000rpm, even with fully closed
throttles.
My questions would be:

Is that a timing or a carb issue?
Could a faulty vacuum advance be the cause? How to check if good?
Could I adjust anything on the vacuum advance?
I have checked timing only with light, not with stroboscope. Could a
difference of +/- 1-2 degree makes theese kind of problems?

any other suggestion for troubleshooting?

thanks

peter

ps. carbs overhauled, seems ok, centered jets...