1 carb too rich

To: doug@dougbraun.com, dhl@chelseamsl.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 1 carb too rich
From: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:53:32 -0500
Doug wrote:

"If the fuel is overflowing out of the jet, you obviously have a problem
with the float or needle valve."

I reply:  I'm confused.  I thought that the float/needle valve simply
controlled fuel flow *into the bowl*, NOT into the jet.  The jet is gravity
fed and the needle (on the bottom of the piston) controls fuel flow from the
jet into the venturi.  Which part am I misunderstanding?

And to the original lister who posted this problem:  I think you hit the
nail on the head when you guessed that the needle and/or jet were very wrong
for your car.  If you're turning it that far up and still running rich, the
needle's gotta be wrong (not sure about the jet, that would depend on the
carb, I guess).  In case you're unaware, needles have specific profiles, the
diameter of the needle is carefully measured over 12 or so points on the
needle.  The only way to "truly" get it right, is to run your engine with a
meter hooked up to the exhaust.  Other listers have done it and are far more
knowledgeable than I am, so I hope they chime in with their techniques (I
may be doing this soon also...) and experiences.  For the short term, call
Joe Curto (718-762-SUSU - 7878 or www.joecurto.com) and tell him what you've
got (he'll ask lots of questions about the car, engine, mods, carbs, etc.)
and he'll make a recommendation that's probably pretty close to spot on.
About 12 bucks (plus shipping) later, you'll have the proper needles for
your carbs.

Good luck.

George P.