Re: 1 carb too rich

To: ygpz4re@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: 1 carb too rich
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:26:09 -0500 (EST)
That's right, George.  The needle valve controls flow into the bowl,
but if the flow into the bowl is not properly limited (i.e. if the
float level is too high,) the excess fuel will flow out of the first
available hole -- the jet.  If the needle valve is sticking open,
though, fuel will come out of the jet first, then every other hole it
can find because of the higher pressure.

And from the followup reply, it sure does sound like a very wrong
needle-jet combination has been installed.  You might check that both
jets are the same size -- they only come in thtee sizes (0.090, 0.100
and 0.125 inch I.D.)  One oversize jet would cause this kind of
problem.  Top of the jet (you'll have to remove it from the carb) will
have no grooves (0.090,) one groove (0.100,) or two grooves (0.125)
cut into it.  Also the needles should be the same.  I believe they are
stamped with their identification letters just above the shoulder.

HTH,
Donald.