Re: Bouncy bouncy and zipped vinyl

To: "tim dafforn" <mqbsstrd@man.ac.uk>,
Subject: Re: Bouncy bouncy and zipped vinyl
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:38:22 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: tim dafforn <mqbsstrd@man.ac.uk>

> The back end seems to hop around (hence bouncy bouncy) rather a lot when
> at speed on uneven roads.
> The rear suspension is totally new, Is this just spitfire handling, or
> should I chuck the cheap generic shocks and save for some Koni/spax or
> similar, and dial 'em in harder.

Have you had the rear suspension correctly aligned? A standard Spitfire rear
end in good condition certainly shouldn't bounce around like that. Personally,
I wouldn't put Spax on ANY car that I had to drive myself.......... EVER!

> Wheels an tyres are standard.
> Second thingm have been suffering from a split rear (zip out) window in
> my soft top (split when I folded it in the cold weather last year). rest
> of the hood is in good condition, what are the options? can I buy just a
> new rear window, or have the clear bit replaced (anyone had any experience)

My MkIV had a replacement rear window fitted to the original top (before I
purchased it). It was a very decent job, but within a year of my ownership the
material of the (original) zip was beginning to disintegrate and it really
needed a new hood by the time I sold the car. If the reat of your hood is
genuinely excellent with no age hardening or shrinkage then go for a
replacement screen, but if the hood is showing any other signs of deterioration
then it would be best to bite the bullet and buy a replacement OEM hood,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics