Re: Electric fans

To: "Spitfires List" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electric fans
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 14:01:33 -0000
ISTR from the dark recesses of more tan 30+ years of product knowledge that
the factory fit fan moved the most air at around  2000 engine rpm. Any speed
above or below 2k, the fan is basically doing nothing.
An electric fan as pusher or puller will greatly improve matters as a whole.
The blades are usually pitched to maximise airflow at maximum motor rpm and
this is constant. Removing the engine driven fan when fitting an electric
one will also release a nominal amount of extra bhp from reduced 'drag.'
In conditions of high air temperature, I'd also fit a cooler thermostat.
This last summer, both my Triumphs ran hotter than normal and while not in
the danger area, it seemed a good idea to reverse flush both the radiator
and block after having poured in a descaling solution. The filth that
emerged on first drain had to be seen to be believed! While the UK isn't
consistently hot, meaning I don't need an electric fan on either car,
there's no doubt the simple exercise of internal cleaning contributed
significantly to improved cooling.

Jonmac