Re: Glazer for hardtop window needed

To: "Chris De Wet" <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>,
Subject: Re: Glazer for hardtop window needed
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:44:51 -0000
> Are the rear plastic finishers available ?

Hi Chris,
    We sell the plastic finisher for 1.50 pounds/metre - it's the same trim as
used on most Heralds & Vitesses, Toledos, Dolomites and plenty of other
non-Triumph vehicles.

> Due to the extreme African sun the plastic finishers don't last very long ,
> so I would really rather prefer to obtain the early metal finisher . Might
> take me another 7 years though :-)

I could well be wrong, but I don't believe metal finishers were ever used. The
hardtop wasn't introduced until 1963, by which time Triumph had more or less
standardised on the plastic strip for all other applications. If they were done
in metal, I don't think they'd have been in production for more than a few
months.

> I have looked at the rear glass metal finisher on my early Herald 1200 Coupe
> ( smooth roof version without the side ribs ) , but it is the wide / broad
> variety and won't fit as far as I can see . Maybe the later thin type would
> , but unfortunately I don't have such a metal finisher available .

When the thin type finisher was introduced on the Coupe in late 1963 it was
only available in plastic.

> Also , just out of curiosity , can the Spitfire front windscreen rubber
> plastic finisher be successfully heated and re-bent to fit the hard top rear
> glass rubber ?

The plastic front trim isn't pre-formed - it comes straight off a roll. Of
course once it's been baked in the sun for years it takes a very rigid shape
and becomes brittle. There's no mileage in reclaiming it as new stocks are
cheap and plentiful.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--