Re: questions for the list

To: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: questions for the list
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 04:31:45 -0400
George P aasked:
>I was thinking about replacing
> the tunnel with a fiberglass tunnel.  The Vic-Brit catalog seems to imply
> there are two different tunnels available - glass and some other type of
> plastic (three letters that just aren't coming to me right now...).  Can
> anyone recommend one over the other?
The ABS plastic ones for my Spit and TR4A are better products than the
fibreglass on for my TR4 that I purchased before ABS ones were available.
The fibreglass ones have the problem of locating the holes in the correct
spot. The ABS ones actually come "dimpled" for the location of the holes
because the production molds are more precise and thereby making for more
precise hole location.

> And is there a recommended insulation
> that will keep both heat and sound out?

Maybe the oringinal plastic coated insulation is salvageable and can be
reused. If not, you could consider some of that foil covered insulation
installed between the cover and the carpet rather than on the underside of
the cover. Others have successfully encased insulation in new plastic and
attached it to the underside of the cover.

> How tough is this job?  I assume it
> involves having to remove the carpet without destroying it....

The carpet sections where you will be working are not usually glued down so
I don't think this will be a problem.

> Also, has
> anyone replaced the tunnel and cut a piece out for access to the clutch
> cylinder?  I was thinking about cutting out a window and then making it
into
> a little removeable panel for easy access to the slave cylinder.  If
> anyone's done this and can direct me to a website for directions or
> something, I would appreciate it.  Otherwise, I do have some ideas on how
> do it (cut out the window, rivet a hinge on it, install a dzus fastener to
> hold it closed, and glue some insulation on the gbx side of the hinged
panel
> - whaddya think?).

There is such an opening on the side of the TR4 cover for access to the
overdrive. What Triumph did was to cut out the opening, install "U" shaped
speednuts at either end on the opening cut into the cover, fabricate a metal
cover to overlap the opening, attach the cover with two screws through the
metal cover and into the speednuts attached to the cover.
 HTH

Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 \T \___|___/ H/      (and a 68 Triumph Trophy 250)
  \ R I U M P /