Re: Seat reclining mechanism

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat reclining mechanism
From: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 22:24:00 -0600
Ok, seat out and stripped to the frame.

There's a crack in the side piece all the way through above the
adjusting mechanism. Runs right through the last rivet hole. Sounds very
similar to what a few others have seen. But also the last horizontal
tubular section has cracked just next to the weld.

I think that all the extra miles on vacation with a lot of twisting in
the seat to get cold drinks etc. from behind, made up for many years
lack of usage and stressed the frame. Glad it did not happen on the
trip. Mind you with all the stuff behind the seats I may never have noticed.

Anyway, I am having it fixed hopefully tomorrow at a local shop.

With luck it could be back on the road the next night, except for all
nice fresh stone chips the local highway dept. have tried gluing to the
road. Gives me time to build my LED instrumentation lighting.

Many thanks again to those who responded.

Alan