Re: Rebuild engine or replace starter?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Rebuild engine or replace starter?
From: "Luke Lewis" <lukage@rogers.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 08:09:31 -0400
I just finished taking my starter apart and putting it back together for the
second time in 2 years - There are 2 things that seem to happen that will
cause a very slow crank, very high draw (Make sure the starter is getting
hot) ...

- One of the brushes is shorting to the case (The braided copper wire bends
the wrong way and touches a ground)
- One of the screws holding a pole shoe to the case comes out (It's always
one you can't see... There are four!) - this causes a very interesting
situation if you think about it!  Part of the starter is turning the
armature, and another part is trying to move itself...

After remedying those 2 conditions it cranks over like crazy (This starter
is the same as the one in my buddy's old Land-Rover - The manual for the
Rover says you can put it in gear and drive the car with the starter motor
if you run out of gas!)