Rebuild engine or replace starter?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Rebuild engine or replace starter?
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:31:36 -0700
Engine: 1300

Symptom: Slow rotation with starter

Situation: Engine was running when shut down a year ago.  Every couple of
months it would have a bit of oil put down the cylinders and the engine
hand turned to keep the rings and bearings from sticking.  Now the engine
is painted, fully assembled with the accessories and mounted in the
chassis.  Attached a transmission and had the drive train complete.  Tried
to crank the engine over with the battery and it drained the battery almost
immediately.  Okay, it's a dodgy battery.  Charged it.  Same
problem.  Decided to try using jumper cables from a running vehicle to do
the same thing.  Removed the spark plugs so there is zero compression or
resistance- or should be.  Jumped it, starter did crank over for a second
or so slowly then died.  Further attempts just get sparks at the terminal.

With the plugs out, I can turn the crank pully with a pipe wrench.  It's
not easy, but it does turn smoothly.  No hitches or binding in rotation.  I
can't imagine the engine seized up just sitting there, especially with the
maintenance that has been done.  Engine had high compression (155 psi on
three cylinders, 150 on the other) so I expect it had been rebuilt fairly
recently in its lifetime.  I far more expect the starter itself is
dodgy.  I've bench tested the starter and it does spin freely- though with
not great enthusiasm.  I'm used to Chevy 350's with starters that have
enough torque to tear your arm off.  These Lucas starters.... they seem a
bit wimpy.  I have another starter core in the pile I should consider
swapping parts with, I suppose.   Seems to me the starters should spin in a
snappy manner, not like an anemic heater fan.

-Vegaman Dan