RE: Spit 1500 running again

To: "'Spitfire List'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spit 1500 running again
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 15:52:41 +0100
George,

I don't have a photo (I live in the dark ages, my camera still uses film!),
but my layout is as Triumph intended, as pictured in this sketch from
Rimmer's website:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/spitfire/images/48a.gif

The feed from the fuel pump goes round the back of the rocker cover, and
into the rear float chamber.  A separate pipe leaves the rear float chamber,
and goes via a metal pipe (which would be clamped to the front of the air
filter box if I still had the standard air filter) to the front float
chamber.  There is then a vent pipe (as shown in the insert) which is just a
green plastic tube which hangs down from the front float chamber.  I've
never noticed anything coming out of here, although to be fair I've never
had cause to look that hard.

I don't like the idea of connecting the vents together without a vent to
atmosphere.  If your pump keeps pumping and nothing shuts off the flow, the
fuel must go somewhere - pressure will build up more and more in the system
until it finds a way out somewhere, probably squeezing out of one of the
joints between rubber and metal pipes.  Meanwhile there will be an increased
pressure in the float chambers, which will force fuel out of them and into
the carbs, which will then run rich.  There is a good reason why the float
chambers need to be at atmospheric pressure!

I hope this helps!

Richard

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email