Spit 1500 running again

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit 1500 running again
From: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 22:13:55 -0400
As I mentioned on the list a few weeks ago, my '78 Spit is running again,
with lots of help from my Dad.  However, when I took it for short (5 miles
or so) test drives, it developed a bit of a stumble as I neared home.

At first we thought it might be bad gas (some of it's been in there for
quite a while), so I added some dry-gas.  That didn't seem to help.

Then I thought that the problem might be that the fuel pressure regulator I
installed to correct an overflow problem (before I changed from the
Gross-jets to "regular" needle valves) was set too low.

Optimistically, I removed the pressure regulator.  Well, that solved the
stumble problem, but now I have gas overflowing from the vent tubes on the
float bowls again.  Still have the "regular" needle valves in place.

So my question is for the Euro listers - if you have the mechanical fuel
pump (runs all the time off the camshaft) and SU HS-4s, how do you prevent
fuel overflow?  At this point in time, I'm thinking the best solution is an
electric fuel pump that shuts itself off, or slows the pumping, when a
certain pressure is reached.  My Dad's 120 has one, and it's a '54.  Why
couldn't a '78 Spit be similarly configured?  Can anyone recommend a pump
that will provide the proper pressure at speed (I'm thinking 4-5 psi - I had
the regulator set on 3.5 and that wasn't enough, but without the regulator
it's too much, apparently), but slow once the float bowls are filled and not
overflow?  I might just play with the regulator and see if I can find a
happy medium....  Somehow, though, I just feel that the regulator is not the
"proper" solution.

Other than that, the car runs great!  Just need to get a few more miles and
check the plugs for mixture.  Happy days are here again!

Thanks,

George P.