Re: Perfect Spitfire moment

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Perfect Spitfire moment
From: "L G" <boynigel@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 20:03:39 +0000
A guy in my car club had broken his gear shift in his TR3 a few years back,
so when mine broke a couple of months ago, he knew exactly what to do-

He made a jig to fit over the stump of the lever so that he could drill
straight down into the lever-mine is solid. Then, he made a little stud,
threaded it, threaded the inside of the hole-put the stud on, (used a bit of
that liquid thread lock) and screwed my gear shift knob back on! Took all of
an hour-maybe a little over.

My mechanic didn't want to weld as even with precautions, there's always the
chance of a spark. (He had to have the leather interior of a 356 Porsche
redone because of a stray spark-and they'd been VERY careful...)

Otherwise, I was looking for a gear shift lever for a '78, and then going
through the nasty task of removing a seat, the carpet, the tunnel-all that
crap. Wasn't finding a replacement gear shift when the fellow with the TR3
said-I can fix that!

And he did!

HTH,

Laura G.