Re: Weber carbs

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weber carbs
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 08:30:34 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 23 May 2002, Nolan Penney wrote:

> Lots of wrong myths about the DCOE abound.  Two 40 DCOE, even with the
> smallest venturi's available, flow far more air then the most highly
> reved Spitfire engine can pull. Translation?  Far more carburetor then
> engine, and typical lousy fuel mileage and poor lower rpm performance
> when operating anywhere but on the race track.   A single 40 DCOE will
> perform better.  Look at the Weber information for selecting venturi
> sizes and you will see what I mean.

So, is this unique to the Spit??  I drove an old Alfa-Romeo for
quite some time when I lived in Europe (back in the days when you
could still go fast in most places) and it not only had better
gas mileage than my Ford Capri, but performed quite well at both
low and high speeds. (As an aside, while difficult to do things
like valve adjustment it was one of the best engineered engines
I ever ran or worked on.)

> The notion that you have bad fuel distribution problems running the
> single DCOE...hogwash.

Glad to see someone say this.  It would be real hard to believe that
the guys designing the manifolds knew so little about their job.

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |