RE: MOT failure

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MOT failure
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 13:39:23 -0400
The outer sill skin doesn't contribute to strength, it's the inner or
center sill panel that does that.  Not that sill strength is much of an
issue on a backbone framed car like a Spitfire anyhow.

There is a saying about a silk purse and a sows ear.  If your Spit is a
sows ear, yes, sell it.  For as another saying goes, one mans trash is
another mans treasure.  My car is certainly a sows ear.  There are very
nice, reliable Spitfires out there to be had, at reasonable prices.  You
may be happier with one of them instead of the current one you have.

>>> John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk> 05/21/02 11:45AM >>>
I'm thinking that I may go for the #80 to get me through the MOT and
repaint the sill myself at home.  I know it is not an ideal fix, but
if
only the back is rusty then I should get back a fair bit of the
strength
that it once had, hopefully.