Re: horn problems2

To: Lwestgaph@cs.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: horn problems2
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:34:38 -0700
At 09:10 AM 4/11/02 -0400, Lwestgaph@cs.com wrote:
>Hi guys, figured out the problem with the horn- fuse had blown! only problem
>is that when i replaced the fuse it blew automatically so i guess there is
>obviously a short somewhere.  any ideas?

Testing for a dead short safely and without blowing more fuses than you
have potato chips can be tricky.  So let's get even trickier!  Remove the
offending fuse, chide it for blowing so easily and retire it to a proper
receptacle.  Now use a 12 volt test light in the fuse's place.  You might
need to use some test leads to make the connection, but the idea is to have
the light be the new fuse.

A 12 volt lamp will only draw as much current as is necessary to light the
filament and that's all.  No more current than that can flow.  Once you
hook up this light, it's likely it will become a miniature sun of
inspiration (and illumination) since there is still that nasty dead short
in the system someplace.  Your next step is to disconnect the horns from
the wiring harness.  Did the light go out?  No?  Then the horns are okay,
it's someplace elsewhere up the line.  Keep disconnecting items in the
wiring harness until the light goes out.  When it does, you know that the
wire you're holding is the guilty culprit.  You just need to find the
portion that is shorting.

A properly operating system will have the test light out when there is
nothing else on the car on.  An inproperly operating system will cause all
sorts of bouts of hair loss, excessive drinking of alcholic beverages, and
the expert application of cursory language upon all things Lucas.