Saskia's back!

To: spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Saskia's back!
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 04:02:12 -0800 (PST)
The garage dropped her back on Saturday and I took her for a quick spin
on Sunday.  All seems to be well and the new engine appears to be working
well and smoothly (touch wood!).  It was great to get behind the wheel
again and smell that unique old car smell.  One thing I did notice was
quite how bad the lights are compared to modern headlamps.

I bought Saskia a nice mountney leather steering from the Classic Car
show auto jumble at Alexandra Palace this weekend too as a present to try
and coax her into being good for me in the coming months!  That's worked
with women before so thought I'd try the same philosophy with my car
(buying presents in general, not specifically steering wheels)!

It was good to meet up with James, Colin and Philip from this list at
Alexandra Palace and have a chat to them all.  Philip's Mk3 spitfire that
was on display looks like it will be great fun to drive when finished!
It certainly looks fantastic at the show.

Back to the new engine thing again, one oddity that I did notice was that
when the engines speed hits 3000rpm in any gear or stationary, the
exhaust note suddenly turns in to a very 'raspy' and louder note.  It
never did this before.  My question is, what could be making this noise?
My first thought would be that it is nothing to do with the engine, but
something to do with the exhaust.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

cheers
John