RE: Clicking/clacking noises

To: MKCASPIAN1@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Clicking/clacking noises
From: parrotthead01@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 19:05:15 -0500
Hi, John.

        I think that I had the same problem.  IMHO, it may be the needle
bearings
in the half shafts.  I also replaced the u-joints, only to have a gentle
"toka-toka-toka" sound come from the rear end.  I noticed it mostly when I
was coasting with the top up.

I replaced the half shafts and bearings and the noise went away.
Unfortunately, I understand the problem will return sooner or later because
the inner needle bearing rides directly onto the axel shaft, with no inner
race.  This wears the axel down in just a few thousand miles.

At the British Car Show last year at Chateau Ilan, I met a gentleman name
Scott Howell, who will machine out the bearing housing, add a new larger
bearing with an inner race on the axel, thereby protecting the axel from
wear.  He charges $230.00 w/ exchange, I think per half axel.  But it's
supposed to be a permanent fix.

He can be reached at HPImports@webtv.net, or at 336-884-1455 (High Point,
North Carolina).  Of course, I have no financial interest, but am keeping
his business card on hand, just in case I hear the "toka-toka-toka" sound
again!

Dan Parrott
1980 Spitfire "PJ"