overdrive

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: overdrive
From: "The Shop" <WFO@bak.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 21:19:57 -0800
Hi,
My new Spitfire is acting funny, I posted to the big Triumph list at first
B/F I joined here.
It is a 79 with overdrive, J type from what I've learned.
Well, it slips when you take off in 1st gear fast or step on it hard in
either 1st or 2nd. This is in underdrive and I've checked the oil and it is
full. After you get on the road and in 3rd or 4th you can shift into OD and
no slipping at all. It seems to shift up or down correctly and functions
well.
After much thought I have decided it must be the one way bearing or clutch
as it is called. The only thing is no noise when it is slipping just you
don't move and it definitely is not the clutch.
BTW I can put it in reverse and back up forever with out it slipping.
OH, can I change the rubber bumpers for earlier chrome bumpers?

TIA
Jon Paschke
Ca

Mistakes have been made, others will be blamed

79 1500

3 other Triumphs
4 Spridgets