Re: overdrive

To: WFO@bak.rr.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overdrive
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 11:02:11 EST
In a message dated 3/3/2002 1:16:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, WFO@bak.rr.com
writes:

> Let me make myself perfectly clear! I'm not talking about using it in OD in
> 1st or 2nd!!! I am saying when I take off from a stop sign in 1st and step
> on it the OD unit itself slips and the OD is off/stright through and yes or
> no what ever I am not in or trying to shift to OD I know it is 3rd or 4th
> and not reverse and when I do get into OD it doesn't slip and that is in
> 3rd
> or 4th.

If I remember correctly, there are actually 2 clutch surfaces inside the OD
unit. They're circular and cone shaped/tapered?  One for when it's not
engaged (straight thru, ST) and one for when it is engaged (thru the OD ratio
mechanism).  The ST clutch is slipping.  In 1st and 2nd there is much more
torque than in 3rd and 4th, so you're overcoming the coefficient of friction
of the ST clutch.  Maybe you need a rebuild.

Another thought is using the proper gear lube in the unit.  If you're using
synthetic or something not spec'ed you may have defeated the clutch that way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is my recollection of a 1974 Spitfire OD
unit....

Clark

"If it's not fun why do it?" Jerry Greenfield
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
www.cwnicholls.com
fax: 419-844-7564 (yes, 419 provided free by efax.com)
phone: 413-243-3433