Re: how big - Jumping In - and the LBC Olympics

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: how big - Jumping In - and the LBC Olympics
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:59:42 +0000
In article <3C73949A.D9EA6EB2@rave.ac.uk>, James Carruthers
<j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> writes

>And talking of push starts - if any of you ever have the chance to push
>my car - with
>me in the driving seat - remind me to release the brakes - Ive done it
>about 3 times
>now - with the person behind giving it their all - and then saying they
>can't push it
>- oops.

I've managed something far more idiotic than that.   A very long time
ago, I went to stay with my uncle, who owns a bit of land in West
Virginia.   One day, we were digging a new well for the horses, and got
his Chevvy pick-up bogged down (sideways on, on a 45 degree slope).   He
insisted on pushing, leaving me to operate the accelerator to try to get
the thing shifted.   Well, I tried and I tried, but it just wouldn't
budge.   After half-an-hour's exertions, my uncle suddenly realised that
I had the automatic transmission in neutral.   This was the first time I
had ever come across an automatic gearbox, and I had thought that
"automatic" meant *automatic* - not that you had to *do* anything with
it...

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"