Re: 6V or 12V coil ??

To: sfgator2@juno.com
Subject: Re: 6V or 12V coil ??
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 11:57:45 -0700
sfgator2@juno.com wrote:

> list,
>                 The subject line refers to a choice I face on my '77 spit. It
>has a Crane/Allison xr-700 system in it with a 12v coil and although it runs
>beautifully, it takes a while to start. According to Haynes, with the stock
>elec. ign. system, it should have a 6V coil (which would make starting easier,
>right?...) and a ballast resistor (which I confimed does exist). The question
>is, since Crane's instructions say their system is compatible with the stock
>coil, does it matter whether I go with a stock 6v or a hotter 12v ??
>
>                                                 TIA,   Dean Martz

Yes, it makes a world of difference.  You either need a ballast resistor in the
circuit with a 12V. Coil or an internally ballasted coil.   But you do
not want both.  Measure the resistance of the coil to see if it has internal
ballast.  If it is 1.2 to 1.9 ohms it has internal ballast and an
external resistor is not required.

Joe

P.S. The term "stock" refers to the original coil that comes in the car.  It
can only be one or the other but not both.