Re: Used throttle shafts and re-drilled rims

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Used throttle shafts and re-drilled rims
From: "David Gardner" <david@autocenteronline.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:18:25 -0500
Dave,

I race a '78 Spitfire in SCCA SoloII events. I have considered this myself.
You need to consider a few IMPORTANT things before proceeding. Make sure
that the Honda wheels have a SOLID hub, that will provide adequate support
when installed. Also, you have to make sure that the drilled holes are
properly machined to mate with the seat portion of your lugnuts. Spitfires
are "lug-centric", relying on the bolt holes, not the hub, for balancing and
mounting your wheel. Another consideration is back-spacing... You have to
make sure the wheel doesn't cause your wheel/tire assembly to contact any
body/frame/suspension parts.

I've been using little 13" tires on Minator wheels (similar to a Miata, but
made for a Spitfire) with pretty good results. I am very interested in how
your situation turns out... Keep us informed!

Cheers,
David

(Check out my car at www.TeamTacori.com )