Was Soft-Top Retainer - now luggage rack

To: "'Rick Gregory'" <rick@ncmg.com>,
Subject: Was Soft-Top Retainer - now luggage rack
From: "Will Slater" <slaterw@bluffton.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:18:04 -0500
I noticed on Rick's web page a picture of his Spit with luggage rack. (By
the way beautiful car Rick!). Does anyone know what the original factory
rack was?  I saw discussion of this on the Spitfire and GT 6 web page
suggesting that the 4 rung racks were aftermarket racks. I wonder if there
is a more original rack of better quality? My main concern with my rack
which looks just like Rick's' is it appers to ahve caused the trunk lid to
rust.  Some PO or dealer put mine on by drilling though the lid without any
sealant or washers around the bolts. Was that usual practice? Water seeped
in and has rusted the lid at the rear edge between the chrome lid edge and
where the lid contacts the trunk. I am planning to repaint my car, rust
proof it and replace or repair some rusted body parts. On the whole the car
is quite solid. I am pondering whether to attempt to patch weld this place
or replace the lid with one from my parts car. The parts car lid had no
luggage rack and only has surface rust. In either case I would like to keep
the luggage rack if I can do so without it causing my trunk lid to rust in
the future.  Is this rust problem caused by these luggage racks one that can
be prevented? What have others done to prevent water getting in and causing
it to rust. I am concerned whether my lid can be saved as the lid seems to
be double walled and I imagine there is considerable rust inside the lid .
What would you advise?