Re: Spitfire tires, help

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire tires, help
From: reed mideke <rfm@redshift.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 02:28:25 -0800
KEschhofen@aol.com wrote:

> I got the spit on the road today (for the first time every). A fun
> experience. I had to get it on the road before winter.

Congratulations.

> Of course I found a couple of things wrong.
>
> What size tires do you have. I put on 155r80/13's, new michelins. The car
> seems a little loose when rocking the steering back and forth. These are the
> right size for the car. I have heard that a wider tire would not roll side to
> side as much. If this is the problem. I am wondering if I should have gone to
> a wider tire. recommendations?

wider, lower profile tires will give you more grip, a more
positive feel,  and usually a rougher ride. I've run 175/60/13s
on mine, but it makes the car really low, and makes a noticable
reduction in gear ratio. 175/70/13 are a bit wider than stock and
slightly larger diameter. This seemed to be the most popular size
last time the topic came up on the list. I have 185/70/13 on the
rear right now, but they have very little fender clearance, and
are larger than stock diameter.
If you want cheap wider wheels, at least some '79 and all '80
spits had 5 inch wide wheels (v.s. 4.5  for the earlier models)
TR7s share the same bolt pattern and also had wider wheels.
Also, cheap, high treadwear tires will tend to be loose. A spit
puts so little weight on it's tires, even ones with a low wear
rating should last a long time.

[...]

--
Email:               rfm(at)redshift.com or rfm(at)portalofevil.com
Home page:                             http://www.redshift.com/~rfm