Re: carb update 2

To: "jcarruthers@freenet.co.uk" <jcarruthers@freenet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: carb update 2
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 14:26:10 -0500
In message <RELAY30LxA56iYGoVEm000003fc@relay3.softcomca.com>you write:
>I sent an email and it failed to reach the group.
>
>Any way here goes again....
>
>I got the throttle discs - I managed to fit them both with ease - but one thin
>g sticks out. The old discs had 1.5mm-ish holes in them - centrally located in
> the top half of the disc. But the new ones dont have a hole. As you may remem
>ber - the problem I had was the gap between the disc and the venturi. The gap
>is now pretty much non existant - but still exists very slightly - but surely
>the hole would have had an effect! thats if its not meant to be there...

    I think those holes are over run valves.  They are spring loaded and opens
    when the egine slows down to reduce exhaust emissions.  They will cause
    higher than normal idle speed if they are not close properly during
    idle by letting air in.

>Im yet to fit the actual carbs - I need advice about the hole/non-hole situati
>on.

    Many people has do away with the over run valves by soldering them shut.
    They might be the source of your idle problem.  You should check and
    make sure your valves are sealing properly.  If they are not and cannot
    be fixed you should solder them up and put them and put them back onto
    the car.

.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |