Re: Intermittent poor running

To: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Subject: Re: Intermittent poor running
From: Howard Allen <Howard.Allen@fairchildsemi.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 05:23:53 -0400
I have been following this thread a little so I hope I haven't missed anything,
but
from what I have read this problem appears to be heat related to some degree.

Two things suggest themselves - partial vapor  lock (causing a lean running
condition) or an intermittent electrical problem.

Obviously any interruption in the fuel delivery will cause bucking during
acceleration in all RPM ranges.  The fact that it is intermittent tells me that
things are in pretty good shape otherwise.
I would not suspect a fuel pump problem unless it is electric.  As I recall you
do
have a stock UK set-up.  Is there any problem with fuel lines that may have
moved
closer to the engine than original or misalignment with the heat shield (assume
there
is heat shield in place)?

Electrical items to consider is limited, depending on whether you have
electronic
ignition or not.  If I assume you do not, then I would consider trying to apply
heat
to the coil (in the form of a hair dryer) to see if you have an intermittent
open in
the coil.  Electrical connections may be affected by heat (expansion) leading
to an
open condition, but that is a long shot.

Intermittent problems are so vexing, especially as they usually happen when you
are
in a hurry or it is dark (if you have my luck!).
good luck.