RE: HS2 carb conversion questions

To: "'Len & Bonnie Lubbers'" <lubbers@sympatico.ca>,
Subject: RE: HS2 carb conversion questions
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:53:18 +0100
Len,

I can't offer advice on most of this, as my car was born with SUs, so I've
never converted.  However, on the subject of loose throttle shafts...

The advice I have seen, and will follow as soon as I can get around to it,
is that both shafts and housings need dealing with.  Dealing with the shafts
is easy - you buy new ones.  Dealing with the housings is less easy.  The
approach apparently is to drill the holes over-size, then fit bushings
(which someone somewhere supplies), then drill the bushings to the exact
diameter.  This is the tricky bit, as they need to be line bored, to ensure
that they are perfectly aligned, or the shaft will bind - this takes
equipment that few of us have in our garages, so must be done by a proper
machine shop.

I must admit, I have tolerated loose shafts for about 3 years now, and while
it is still on my (ever lengthening) to-do list, I've learned to live with
the symptoms.

As for the air filters, the diameters you give sound roughly right, without
checking.  The proper air filters should fit inside a single large oval
metal box, that has two short pipes coming out of the front, from these a
pair of corrugated plastic pipes run forwards to beside the radiator, so
cool air is collected.  See
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/spitfire/catgifs/14bx.gif for the setup.  There
are alternatives, see the great K&N discussion that has only just died down.

Hope this helps!

Richard
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email