RE: trunnions

To: "'Catchpole, Pat'" <Pat.Catchpole@ntc-europe.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: trunnions
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:59:01 +0100

On original Stanpart trunnions there is a shouldered step at the bottom on
one of the trunnions (I can't remember which offhand), but recently
manufactured trunnions seem to have lost this in the machining process,
despite being made using the same tooling. In fact, the most recently
produced trunnions are absolute c**p! The metal disk in the bottom isn't
properly peened over - they invariably leak dreadfully and I have seen some
of the disks drop out with no pressure, just gravity! Before fitting them to
the car, try filling them with EP90 and let them stand for a few hours - if
they leak then you will need to have the disks fixed in place by soldering.
There is such a high failure rate on the new trunnions that I wouldn't
consider fitting any without at least checking - a friend who restores
Triumphs professionally has shown me so many of these in recent months that
I take the problem very seriously,
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupi Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Saloon
|    A \____||____/ A    |  1960 Herald 948 Saloon 100% Original
| =  H              H  = |  1961 Herald 'S'
=====U==============U=====  1961 Herald 1200 Coupi
\________________________/  1968 2000 Mk1 Saloon (the Wife's car!)

Join The Herald Mailing List at: