RE: trunnions

Subject: RE: trunnions
From: "Catchpole, Pat" <Pat.Catchpole@ntc-europe.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:04:02 +0100
One trunnion has a right-hand thread and the other trunnion has a left hand
thread.  Unless you are a real butcher you will not fit them on to the wrong
vertical link!  I have never heard that they have different dimensions,
although I believe that they have been re-manufactured by different
suppliers to service the spare parts market.

When the steering wheel is turned this 'handedness' means that one vertical
link is screwed into a trunnion, and the other one unscrews.  I have seen
various reasons for the left / right hand threads over the years, one of the
more interesting theories (though not necessarily the correct one) is that
this is deliberate to compensate for the lean of the car as it goes around
the corner (a self-levelling device).  I don't think the amount though -
maybe 0.5inch at the most - would be enough for any real effect bearing in
mind the compression of the springs etc.  Anyone have any other thoughts?

When you have them fitted don't forget to give them a good lube using EP90
gear oil through the nipples and at regular times in the future.

Cheers

Pat

Nissan Technical Centre Europe Limited.
Registered in England Number 2228415 Registered Office Cranfield Technology
Park, Moulsoe Road, Cranfield, Bedfordshire MK43 0DB
Telephone : +44 (1234) 75 5555

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended for
the addressee only.  If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward,
disclose or otherwise use it, or any part of it, in any form whatsoever.  If
you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and ensure that
all copies of this e-mail and any files transmitted with it are deleted.

Any views or opinions represented in this e-mail are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Nissan or its affiliate companies.

Although this e-mail and its attachments have been scanned for the presence of
computer viruses, Nissan will not be liable for any losses as a result of any
viruses being passed on.