RE: trunnions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: trunnions
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:39:24 -0400
>From: "Catchpole, Pat" <Pat.Catchpole@ntc-europe.co.uk>
>
>When the steering wheel is turned this 'handedness' means that one vertical
>link is screwed into a trunnion, and the other one unscrews.  I have seen
>various reasons for the left / right hand threads over the years, one of
>the
>more interesting theories (though not necessarily the correct one) is that
>this is deliberate to compensate for the lean of the car as it goes around
>the corner (a self-levelling device).  I don't think the amount though -
>maybe 0.5inch at the most - would be enough for any real effect bearing in
>mind the compression of the springs etc.  Anyone have any other thoughts?

Purely my own .02, but I always assumed this was to maintain height
symmetry for both right and left hand turns.  Otherwise you would
rise the front of the car a half inch in right hand turns and lower
a half inch in left hand turns (or vice versa).  The difference
probably is less than a half inch and I would imagine very
unnoticeable to the average driver, but it was a clever and easy
way to eliminate it, so why not go for it.

Like I said, just my personal guess.

Greg Rowe