RE: a perplexing matter- rear spring replacement

To: "'Will Slater'" <slaterw@bluffton.edu>,
Subject: RE: a perplexing matter- rear spring replacement
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:55:25 +0100
I replaced the spring on my '78 1500 a few months back.  I also found that
it was difficult to get the studs to fit in.

Firstly, try some studs or bolts that are a smaller thread, just to confirm
that the holes are pretty nearly aligned.  If they are not, you have a
serious problem.

If they are, then all I can advise is patience and force.  Raising the
spring slightly clear of the diff may help a little.  Applying force to the
top of the studs (preferably to a nut threaded onto the top of the stud, to
avoid damaging thread) may encourage them.  I can't remember if I did, but I
wouldn't be surprised if I had hit the top of the stud (or rather nut on the
end) with a hammer to help 'encourage' it down a bit.  Use a lever to press
down on the top of the stud while you rotate it.  All these may help.

Good luck!

Richard & Daffy
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email